FIS Nordic Junior World Ski Championships started today with Cross Country U20 Sprint competitions. Winner of the women’s race was Norwegian Kristine Stavaas Skistad and Alexander Terentev took the win in the men’s competition.
Skistad was very happy with her competition.
– It was a really good competition. I will be competing again in 5 kilometer race and in relay, said Skitad.
Polish Monika Skinder was second with margin of 0,63 seconds behind the winner. She said that she didn’t have any tactics for the race. She will be competing again in the relay. Finnish Anita Korva came in third 0,71 seconds behind winner Skistad.
– We had a really good competition today and it was very even for all of us. I hope I can keep good result in every competition, said Korva.
The gold medal favorite, Swedish Frida Karlsson was fifth in the final.
The front-runner of the men’s sprint, Russian Alexander Terentev, won the race with margin of 2,88 seconds. Terentev really liked the course in Lahti.
– The course was really nice for me, a lot of uphills which is very suitable for me, Russian told the press.
He will be competing again in the 10 kilometer freestyle race. He also said that he will be hopefully competing in the relay.
Norwegian Ansgar Evensen came in second.
– The competition was really tough and it was a hard course. I am very happy.
Evensen told the press that he is gonna chill for the rest of the competition week and hopefully compete in the relay. Evensen’s country-man, Haakon Skaanes was third with only one hundredth of a second behind the silver medalist.
– The competition was hard, there were a lot of strong athletes. The race was really close at the end. My tactic was to go all out. I tried to keep at the winner’s pace but he was a lot faster. I wanted to be in a good position in the last uphill.
U20 skiers continue their competitions on Tuesday, women with 5km and men with 10km freestyle races.
Photo gallery for JWSC2019
Photo gredits JWSC2019 / Janina Pitkänen
TOP3 athletes’ comments available on Soundcloud