The fourth day of FIS Nordic Junior World Ski Championships at Lahti finished with U20 men’s nordic combined individual HS100 and 5 km freestyle skiing competition.
The winner of the whole competition was Julian Schmid from Germany with margin of 5,3 seconds. Johannes Lamparter from Austria was the silver medalist and Norwegian Jens Luraas Oftebro took the bronze. He crossed the finish line 8,2 seconds after silver medalist Lamparter.
Oftebro had the lead after ski jumping part. He jumped 92 meters so as Lamparter who headed to track just one second after Oftebro. Schmid was third at hill with 91,5 meter’s jump and got to the track two seconds after Oftebro.
German made his attack at last uphill and run away from Oftebro and Lamparter.
Schmid was happy with his jump and when he crossed the finish line. Schmid told press about his decision to attack at the last uphill.
– Johannes and Jens were so close behind me. I thought ‘makes beat, makes beat’ and then my coach said that I have a little gap and then I gave everything over the top, told Junior World Champion.
His next step is to get some starts at World Cup. Schmid thinks that Friday’s team competition in nordic combined will be very interesting.
– Austria and Norway are very strong this year. Also team Germany is very good on the hill, said Schmid.
Silver medalist Lamparter was especially happy with his jump.
– In the end I’m very satisfied to have a medal on my neck, told Lamparter.
He planned to attack also at last uphill.
– Julian did it a little bit better, said Lamparter.
Bronze medalist Oftebro told the press that the race was extremely hard.
– Very tough weather and lot of snow. At the end I’m very satisfied with the medal here, said Norwegian.
He told press that the top three planned to work together at cross country part.
– We wanted to work together to keep the gap from other athletes. I think we did it well, said Oftebro.
Photo gredits JWSC2019 / Janina Pitkänen
TOP3 athletes’ comments available on Soundcloud