Second last competition day of FIS Nordic Junior World Ski Championships started with U20 women’s cross country relay 4 x 3,3 km.
The gold medal team was Norway with margin of one second. Team Russia was second and team Sweden took the bronze medal. The margin between world champion team Norway and bronze team Sweden was 33,3 seconds at the finish.
Team Norway and Russia made a gap to other teams on the first lap. On the second leg Russia left Norway 10 seconds behind but Norway’s Helene Marie Fossesholm passed Russia’s Veronika Stepanova on the third leg. Team Norway left to the last lap with margin of 1,6 seconds before Team Russia. Russian Anna Grukhvina and Norwegian Kristine Stavaas Skistad were the fourth skiers of leader teams. Skistad passed Grukhvina at the stadium and team Norway took the gold medal.
Norwegian gold medalist Fossesholm told press about her tactics in the relay.
– Everyone did a really good job. When I changed with Astrid I just wanted to make the gap shorter between me and the Russian girl and when I did that I also wanted to make a little gap between me and the Russian girl so I could give Kristine a little gap, Fossesholm told.
Fossesholm told that she was a little bit excited when she looked the last lap at the stadium.
– I knew that Kristine is a really good sprinter so I was just satisfied, Fossesholm said.
Coach of team Norway Monika Korra thought that the week has been amazing for Norway.
– To end up with a relay today on top of the podium is just the best way possible, Korra summed up the week.
Silver medalist Kristina Kuskova was really satisfied with her performance and performance of team Russia.
– All of us support each other and that’s why I think we are on the second place today, Kuskova said.
Bronze medalist Linn Svahn was the anchor of team Sweden. Team USA and Sweden fought of bronze at the final lap.
– USA was pushing really hard in the last hill but I knew that if I have her back at the stadium I’m really fast in the last 300 meters, Svahn said.
- Norway 35:24.7 (Kristin Austgulen Fosnaes, Astrid Stav, Helene Marie Fossesholm, Kristine Stavaas Skistad)
- Russia +1,0 (Anastasiya Faleeva, Kristina Kuskova, Veronika Stepanova, Anna Grukhvina)
- Sweden +33,3 (Louise Lindstroem, Frida Karlsson, Tilde Baangman, Linn Svahn)
Photo gredits JWSC2019 / Janina Pitkänen
TOP3 athletes’ comments available on Soundcloud